1. Money is made at the buy, not the sell of your flip. When flipping a house your money is made at the purchase not at the sell of the house. So, many times people buy a house with the intentions of making a huge profit only to find out that they could not make any money after all the renovations because the purchased price of the house was to high.
When you purchase your property you need to be sure that you buy the house with enough money to make renovations, have carrying cost, and add about $6,000. The mistake is made at the purchase at the home, not the sell.
2. Get an inspection on the home – Get a complete inspection done on your property. By, spending a few hundred dollars on this expense you can save thousands in problems that you cannot see.
Foundation, Pest, Wood Rot, Etc… By, getting a full inspection you can rest assured that you know as much as you can up front that is wrong with the property before its to late. In the contract for the house you need to make sure that you have 7 days to have a inspection preformed, and if the inspection finds problems that are going to cost more money that you are willing to spend you can get out of the contract with no penalties.
3. Don’t do the work yourself: – Get a contractor or several sub-contractors and have the work done quickly. You need to have you house flipped ASAP, so that you can get it on the market and get it sold.
When I started flipping I made this huge mistake by doing all the construction. I had a general sense of fixing things and figured it would save thousands, but it took me over 4 months to get the work done that a contractor could have had the work done in a month.
But, I was trying to save money on this flip, and did all the work on my days off and after work, and it just took to long.
On my 2’nd flip we used contractors for almost everything and had the house completely flipped with a new roof, new air conditioning, new hardwood, and much more in only 3 weeks. We did not have to spend all our time working on the property and were able to spend that time looking for the next deal. This is how you get rich in real estate.
4. Place the property 1 to 2 percent below market value: If you are wanting to flip real estate and make money the object is to buy and sell the property as quickly as possible, so that you can move on to the next house. If you purchase a house and try to sell it at top dollar to make and extra couple of thousand dollars on your flip, and end up holding it for 6 months you are loosing money.
Get the house on the market at a price that is going to blow the competition away, and you will sell it no matter what the market conditions.
On our second house the market for selling house went down do to the housing market as a whole, and the tightening of the loans across America. We were told that you could not sell a property in this market, but we went ahead anyway and flipped our house.
After 3 weeks on the market we had 3 people wanting to buy the house. Why, because we offered it at such a great deal that people wanted to jump on it. That is what you have to do especially if the market is slow.
5. Use a real estate agent – (That would be me <smile>) – Do not try to sell you house on your own. Harness the power of a real estate agent and the power of the MLS system. When you do a FSBO (For Sale By Owner) you are depending on people driving by your house and seeing your sign.
With a real estate agent you have some one actively marketing you house to get it sold. Once again this will free up more time for you to look for more great deals. If you want to help the process I have found that Craigslist and listing you house in Google Adwords help to, but I use these tools with the help of a agent to make sure I have all my bases covered.
I hope this article has been helpful with the basics needs of flipping a house. If you will study and learn you will make money. But, do your homework before you purchase a house, and make sure that you can pull a profit on your deal. Then, make it happen!
I have different options for my Investor clients. Contact me by calling 512-686-1971 (24/7) and leave a message with your contact info. I don’t want to reveal my inside secrets here on my blog, but will be more than happy to discuss my marketing techniques with you one on one. Give me a call.